





















This post is a couple weeks old - I've just been too busy to upload pictures.
There are 3 backpacking trips that I've wanted to do since we moved to Hawaii: Halape (which I did with friends Camilli and Naomi in May), summit of Mauna Loa, and Waimanu Valley. As the papoose is growing quickly, Cam and I figured that it's gonna get harder before it gets easier to hike again in the very near future and headed to Waimanu the other weekend.
After fantastic breakfast burritos in Honokaa, we parked at the top of Waipio valley, and hiked down and across it before reaching the Waimanu trailhead. The first mile was very slow going - 1100 feet elevation gain in less than a mile, then a series of ~12 smaller valleys to cross, and the final steep, slippery descent into Waimanu. The only other folks in the valley were a group of guys who had kayaked in from Waipio - with beer and BBQ gear. I went straight to bed, but Cam got to enjoy some of their provisions.
We took our time hiking out the next day. I was pretty exhausted - and the dogs enjoyed jumping in all of the streams - and reached Waipio in the evening. We were lucky to hitch a ride back up the hill - packs, poles, dogs and all. After 18 miles - I dont think I had one more big uphill in me.......
And now we trade in the packs for a papoose carrier.........and Mauna Loa will have to wait!
3 comments:
Good for you getting out and doing more than most non-pregnant people do ever! It's great that you guys are enjoying your surroundings. When's the papoose due?
I love the pictures from this post!
A few thoughts:
1 - What are you, crazy! It's hard enough to catch my breath when walking on flat ground. You hiked 18 miles! You go girl!
2 - Cam looks like a total hottie in these pictures :-)
3 - I want to live in Hawaii!
4 - What are you, crazy?! Just had to say it again. That is the craziest thing I've ever heard of a prego doing. you must be in amazing shape - you look it!
what these pictures dont show are all of the points when the trail was totally kicking my preggo butt. I think if there was an opportunity to get out any other way, I would have taken it......
and yes, Cam is a total hottie :-)
Post a Comment