Once again - I find that I'm not keeping up with the blogging. We have had a bit of baby-related drama in the last 2 weeks, although we all are doing just fine.
Last Tuesday, the birthing center where i'm doing my prenatal visits and am supposed to have the birth (which is an hour and a half from our house) fired over half of its staff, including all but 2 midwives, due to "budget concerns" and "downsizing". So, lots of appointments got cancelled, and on-call docs from the Hilo and Kona hospitals were brought in........... We opted NOT to have the birth in Hilo (where we live) because it has an awful reputation and both Hilo and Kona hospitals have a 50% cesarian (sp?) rate........ so we went with the women's center in Waimea - 11% c-section rate and all vaginal births are attended by midwives. Now though, they're bringing in on-call docs from the Hilo and Kona chop shops to do pre-natals, and cant guarantee that one of the 2 remaining midwives will be on call for the birth.
so, we talked, and discussed pursuing a home birth instead. We had pretty much decided that this is what we wanted.........then I went in for my 34 week appointment, where they told me that the baby was transverse. Transverse babies can only be born by c-section. There is still potential for baby to turn on it's own, but the bigger it gets, the less likely this will happen. So now we're back to the birthing center plan............unless baby gets it's head down quick. I've heard that there are things that we can do to assist turning the baby - acupuncture, chiropractor, swimming, manipulating position - so i'm scheduling appointments with natropaths left and right......and trying not to freak out............everything i've heard and read says that the mothers attitude and environment surrounding the birth can really affect the outcome, so i'm trying to sort-of relax despite feeling pretty panicky about our birth options.
another thing we've decided to do is hire a doula. whether we have the baby at the birthing center, at home, or in the case of a failed home birth, the hilo hospital, i really want someone there who is an expert in the birthing process, a familiar face, and guaranteed support person. I figure its $500 well spent if it prevents surgery. Or even if she just makes me feel better.
In more fun preperations though, yesterday i spent all afternoon washing all the baby stuff we've been given, prepping the diapers (we're going to attempt cloth), and putting together the crib and jogging stroller. Pretty soon, we're going to be about as ready as we possibly can be.
Cam swears he'll take some pictures tonight. I'm not promising I'll post them. I'm feeling quite large these days, even though I've only gained 20 pounds. If we have a girl, we're pretty sure what her name is going to be. If we have a boy, we dont have a clue. We're taking suggestions.
love and aloha,
Lisa, Cam, and baby J
The Game of Thrones MKAL 2015 is here!
-
It’s happening!!! Another Game of Thrones MKAL! For those of you who missed
the last 2 years, here is what you missed: Year 1: Arya’s Water Dancer Cowl
Yea...
11 years ago
5 comments:
You've only gained 20 pounds? OK, now I really hate you. As if the naturally blond hair wasn't enough. You might as well just bring your non-pregnancy pants to wear home from the hospital (or birthing center...or I guess your own home if you end up going that route).
No wonder you look fab!
Hey Lisa, I am thinking good thoughts for you, what a lot to deal with. I hope that baby figures it out!
I hope everything works out okay! I'm sending positive vibes your way! Take care mama and p.s. I've always loved biblical names like Noah, Jacob, or Jonah. I know it's weird but I can't help it!
I tried both Noah and Jonah (and Jonas).........and Cam vetoed them.....
How disheartening to hear that the medical situation in Hawaii is total shit!
Everything will be alright though, even if you have to have a C-section.
I can't wait to see cute lil Lisa Jr. cause yeahh you are having a girl, I just know it. Bree, Jamie and myself all had girls first, so I think it will be inherent that you have a girl as well.
Keep up the good calm thoughts and if you need anything just call!
Love ya girl!
Post a Comment